with A Hint Of Fresh Thyme And Sweet Basil!
Hello everyone! Hope you are all doing well. I must apologize for not posting recipes in a while, it’s been quite a busy time for me, my daughter Kayra, just started with school , can’t believe it though, she is just over two years of age and already her own person, it’s amazing how she’s grown …time passes surprisingly quickly! My heart is happy, knowing that she has an incredible teacher who is so caring, nurturing and loving as she is with all the other kids! Kayra looks forward to going to school everyday, I have a lot to be thankful for and most definitely count all my blessings!
Back to the kitchen, I simply love this recipe on a meat free Monday, it’s simple and so quick and easy to put together, with a few intensely delicious flavours, I certainly hope you give it a try!
Serves 6 Cooks in 1hr Difficulty Not too tricky
3 cloves garlic
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tsp olive oil
2 x 400g tins quality plum tomatoes ( I prefer using fresh tomatoes, even jam tomatoes work pretty well, as they are sweet and juicy)
1 dried red chilli (optional)
1Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 bunch of fresh basil
150g Cheddar cheese ( I used white gouda, use whatever you have available to you)
70g Parmesan cheese
- Cut aubergines into 1/4 inch rounds and place in a steamer for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, peel onion and garlic, finely chopped.
- Pick thyme leaves.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium flame, add olive oil, onion, garlic and thyme, sautee for 10 minutes.
- Now tip in the tomatoes, if using fresh tomatoes, you can grate or blend them, remember to remove skins.
- Add balsamic vinegar and simmer until sauce has thickened and reduced , for about 20 minutes or so.
- Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper, add chopped basil.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.Grate Parmesan and Cheddar cheese.
- In an oven proof dish , spread a layer of tomato sauce across the base of dish, sprinkle with grated cheese and cover with a layer of sliced aubergines, repeat layers twice more. Finish with a layer of sauce and sprinkling of the grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Love and light
Thought For The Day!