Nutritious And Healthy!
Why not turn your everyday breakfast into an elegant brunch with this delicious sweet potato waffle, poached egg , hollandaise sauce and smoked salmon!
I think that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, not only does it kick-start your metabolism but it also helps you to burn calories throughout your day. It boosts energy levels to get things done and it also helps you to focus at work or at school. These are just some of the reasons why breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many studies have shown that eating breakfast is associated with good health; improves memory and concentration, reduces “bad” LDL cholestrol, as well as lowers the risk of diabetes, heart disease and weight-gain . Many individuals tend to skip the a.m meal ,make no mistake, your body needs fuel from food or you could feel zapped of energy and you are most likely to overeat in the course of the day and tend to snack on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Breakfast is no doubt, a wonderful occasion to eat together as a family whenever possible. It is important to have good breakfast habits in childhood and maintain these habits throughout adolescence which plays a vital role in reducing the ubiquity of skipping breakfast and acquiring excellent eating habits that will last all your born days!
So why not shake-up your morning with breakfast…
Prep Time 30 minutes Cook Time 6 minutes Total Time 36 minutes
For The Mock Hollandaise Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1tsp lemon juice
1tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp ground paprika
1 dash hot pepper sauce
Directions: Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan over a medium flame until warmed through , for about 2-3 minutes.
For The Sweet Potato Waffles
1 pound sweet potatoes
1 whole egg
1 1/4 cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
For The Poached Eggs
water for poaching the eggs
2 large eggs
2 tbsp white vinegar
For The Sweet Potato Waffle
- Preheat waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into cubes, place in a steamer until soft and tender. Mash sweet potato , using a fork and allow to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, add milk and stir in the cooled mash.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder and slowly add into the sweet potato mixture , to make a smooth batter.
- Use a non-stick spray for waffle maker, spoon batter onto the plates according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Cook until golden on both sides.
- While the waffles are being cooked:
For The Poached Eggs:
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and reduce heat to simmering. Add vinegar.
2. Crack the eggs into individual small bowls. Carefully, tip egg into water, one at a time. Allow, the eggs to cook for about 3-4 minutes or depending on your personal choice.
While the eggs are being poached, remove waffles. Place 2-3 ribbons of salmon on top of each waffle, layer with slices of avocado.
Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and blot with kitchen paper to remove excess water. Place egg on top of salmon and avocado.
You can also add a dab of capers to this dish with steamed asparagus on the side.
Spoon hollandaise sauce on top of the egg and garnish with chopped chives.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Thought For The Day!