Say goodbye to oatmeal packets and start making your very own oats at home. It is simple and easy to prepare, I promise…much cheaper in the long run and more delicious! It is customizable, you decide how to make it and what oatmeal toppings you prefer.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk of choice ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
- a pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 1 large apple
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp water
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and water to a boil. Reduce to a low flame and add in oats.
- Cook until oats are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove oats from the heat, cover and allow to stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Now for the stewed fruit, peel, core and chop apple. In another saucepan, add chopped apple , nutmeg, cinnamon and water. Bring to a simmer. Stew the apples until soft.
Stir in the stewed apple. Thin with some more milk , if desired. Serve warm.
Additional toppings to boost flavour: (optional)
- Seeds, I used a mix of pumpkin seeds, sunflower, flax and chia seeds. You could also use any nut or seed butter.
- Nuts, I used blanched almonds. Pecans or walnuts are also perfect.
- Sweetner, Maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, brown sugar, I did not add any, as I prefer the natural sweetness from the apples.
- Spices, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin spice
Thought For The Day
Light and Blessings