Hearty And Nutritious!
Stuffed mushrooms with a cheesy vegetarian filling is an ideal dinner recipe, or an excellent appetizer to serve at a party! This meal has it all, meaty mushrooms, cheese, a simple salad as well as wholegrain goodness!
They are so easy to prepare and just so flavourous. You will love making them, and they are so versatile, get creative and experiment with different textures, like peppers, zucchini, sweet onion, spinach, sundried tomatoes, paired with a fresh salad and crusty bread ,the list is endless.
You can try these stuffed shrooms for any occasion and they will no doubt be a crowd pleaser! You could also use vegetarian Parmesan to keep it strictly vegetarian. Yes, vegan cheese… so easy to make, I use ground cashew nuts, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder and salt, will you show you how to make your very own Vegetarian Parmesan cheese in minutes in my next post!
4 large brown mushrooms
1-2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic minced
2-3 tomatoes peeled and grated
few sprigs of fresh origanum, or you could fresh thyme or 1 pinch dried oregano
100g bulgar wheat
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste
For The Salad
1 packet green olives
250g baby plum tomatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh lime /lemon juice
few sprigs of fresh origanum
- Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and place mushrooms with the caps turned upside down in an ovenproof dish. Brush them with some olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring bulgar wheat to a boil for 10 minutes and be sure to drain any excess liquid.
- In a medium pan, heat oil, add minced garlic and sautee for 10 minutes, then add grated tomatoes and fresh herbs. Cook for 20 minutes or until reduced and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven. Fill each mushroom cap with a little sauce, remember to set aside some of the sauce, you can use it to toss the bulgar into the remaining sauce. Layer with the bulgar wheat mixture, and then top with cheese .
- Bake for 10 minutes or until shrooms are brown and soft and garnish with herbs.
- Serve with a fresh salad of choice and crusty bread.
- To prepare salad, add olives , tomatoes and fresh herbs into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and lime/lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper!
Thought For The Day!